Calcium Hydroxide or slaked lime is a chemical compound with the chemical formula Ca (OH)2, and comes in the form of a fine white powder.
The word lime is also used to refer to calcium hydroxide and its chemical formulation is Ca (OH)2, which is also formed by the interaction of calcium oxide with water. Calcium hydroxide is also known as slaked lime, or hydrogenated lime, while calcium oxide is known as live lime. It is an important chemical in the industry and is the main component of many coatings, mixtures and solutions, giving it high performance properties.
The most famous unique material since ancient times and is stored for a long time, has sterilization properties, and is widely used in several areas.
Calcium hydroxide has many uses in daily life and in industrial applications, including:
- Used in water treatment.
- Included among the components of the slurry and plaster mixture.
- Used as an alkaline material in the industry.
- Used to treat soil acidity.
- Used in the preparation of calcium hydroxide used in building materials.
- Used as an alkaline in mining and glass making.
- As a result of its high melting point, calcium oxide is used to lining ovens.
- Hair removal of sheep skins in the tanning industry.
- Paint the stems of trees at the beginning of summer to protect them from pests and the heat of the sun.
- Making gaseous water by purifying water from impurities, germs and harmful substances.
- Treatment of sewage and wastewater in factories.
- Treatment of temporary water dyslexia by interacting with calcium bicarbonate and magnesium.
- Sugar industry by removing phosphates and organic acids from raw sugar juice.
- Construction work in construction supply, especially buildings designed of limestone sand bricks.
- Cleaning and disinfecting of ostrich ponds.
- A protective or diluted substance to protect houses from high sun heat.
Most lime is made from small pieces of limestone, which consist mainly of calcium carbonate and its chemical formulation CaCO3. To extract the powder in a special oven, it is heat until it reaches a temperature of 1,204°c. In this way, carbon dioxide is released from limestone, leaving behind a fragile mass of lime with a grayish white color.
The production of slaked lime involves an additional process called extinguishing, where water is added to a cold mass of lime, creating a chemical reaction that produces heat and water vapor. The steam fades, leaving behind a finely white powder, the slaked lime.
Calcium hydroxide is the main component of many mixtures, giving it high performance properties:
- Quality thermal insulation
- Fire safety
- Mechanical force – the surface of the plaster does not break
- Alkaline prevents the appearance of mold and fungi
- Comfortable at work.
- Steam permeability – prevents moisture build-up
ORDER SILICA POWDER FROM OUR BMS FACTORIES